Pages

Saturday 14 January 2012

Surprising Sushi Success

I made sushi for the first time last night and was really surprised at how easy it was, and quicker than I expected. It took a little under an hour to make enough for 6 people.
I didn't have a recipe or instructions, so I watched a few youtube tutorials to get an idea of method. The most useful ones were: 


I wasn't confident enough to try raw fish, so I made vegetarian sushi. I made some with avocado and sesame seeds, some with carrot, cucumber and avocado (which would have been better with a little pickled daikon) and my favourite, I made tamago (Japanese omelette).  
I watched a few tutorials on how to make tamago and found these to be the most useful:


I managed ok with a circular non-stick fry pan. My tamago was not quite as neat and flawless as in these tutorials, but once you cut it up and roll it into sushi, you'd never know the difference. 
I found different recipes for tamago, some really salty others really sweet, and after one terribly salty failure, succeeded with the following recipe: 3 eggs, 1 tbsp Mirin, 1/2 tsp soy and 150ml water. 

I will definately be making this again, and keeping the leftovers for lunch at university.

No comments:

Post a Comment